Thursday, April 3, 2008

God's Plan- October 3, 2007

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

God’s Plan
I'm writing this with sadness, and hope. My grandchild, whom I have loved all out from the moment I knew she was in existence, (truth be told, even before then) has serious birth defects. Not just mild, we can fix them at birth, problems, but real, overwhelming issues. We discovered it this morning as we sat joking at her ultrasound. Life stopped. One minute, overwhelmed with joy, the next, your world stops. Words swirled in the room, "Fatal", "Retardation", "facial deformities", "heart problems", "Brain abnormalities" I saw the doctor saying them, but was speechless to do much more. They ushered us soberly to another room where a "Genetic Counselor" met us, with paperwork on the suspected conditions. "The first step is to rule out or confirm the genetic disorder", which required an amnio from our already small but mighty amniotic sac our precious angel is floating and living in. During that time, Lacey's lifegroup partner from church called, (later in her own words, "It was an accident I called") and was able as soon as she hung up from our shock, to get on the phone and the email and start a prayer chain. Lacey called Miles her campus pastor, who immediately gathered up the posse and came to the doctors office, 8 strong they were, and I know without even hesitating, prayers started on all fronts from them at that instant. Lacey, Brad and I prayed immediately before even going out of the ultrasound room, knowing she's God's gift to us, and trusting Him with all we have of the outcome of the day. As the genetic counselor started giving us our options, some I don't even want to type yet, Lacey was the most calm I have ever seen her. And those of you that know Lacey know that she is the most stressed out worry wart on the planet over the LITTLE things. Now facing a huge lifechanging event, she is the calmest I've ever seen her. What an incredible woman .. she is truly my hero. Brad and Lacey go to the amnio room, and Greg and I go out into the lobby and greet Miles and the gang from Edmond campus and wait. When Lacey and Brad come out, Brad tells me that the doctor wants to run a 3-D ultrasound and he needs me to be with Lacey. We go in and start to watch and you need to remember the words that were swirling in that room at the beginning, "facial deformalities" first coming to mind, I have to tell you, I am not a good ultrasound watcher (kinda think of Rachel in Friends) but my grandbaby's face was perfect. Her lips were perfect, her nose was perfect, her eyes... perfect. One hurdle down. Next to the heart, all 4 chambers, beating soundly, no sign of the calcification that they had thought they had seen earlier...... down to the hands, 5 fingers pushed by the sweetest arm ever, and on down to the 2 little feet that kept stretching trying to get away from the invasion of the ultrasound. "I see nothing here to indicate the genetic disorder we thought earlier"... the doctor tells us, as Lacey and I stare into each other's eyes with that "Prayer always wins" look that we don't even have to verbalize to each other, we just know. But, Laynie's problem, she has an abnormality of her brain. We don't know what, but there is a mass encasing the back of her brain. Remember she is only 14 oz big, so it's a little teeny something that is keeping her brain from developing correctly. I also, as a grandma prayer warrior, believe that the power of prayer is mighty. And I know the goodness of my daughters heart and soul, and I pray and believe that God will see us through this. All I know is what started as a hopeless situation, became something we can work through, with God's tender mercy. Laynie is going for her brain MRI tomorrow morning at 11:30 and I want everyone to stop what they are doing and say every prayer that you have for her at that time. Don't think you can't pray for her every minute between now and then, but especially in the morning.
God is so Good, God is so Good, God is so Good, He's so Good to Me.

No comments: